Thursday, March 5, 2009

Bon Voyage!! Day 2 - Roatan, Honduras


Our first of four stops was Roatan, Honduras. It is a small island off the coast. Interestingly enough the primary language is English, the British maintained control until the 1960's when the island was officially turned over to Honduras. These two native island dancers let us get a quick snap in before we went to find our excursion sign.






We decided to do a an excursion we found on the internet. I'm so glad we did, it was just us and one other couple which made the experience so much more personal. It actually was hosted by an American couple who sold their corporate achievements 1994 and decided to buy land in a quiet village in Roatan.
We go to the dock where they have a pontoon boat, I thought to myself, " this looks familiar." We had a pontoon boat all growing up.





As you can kind of see in the picture there was a ship wreck that we snorkeled around. The boat wrecked about 100 years prior and was pretty fascinating to see all the new reef life that grew on the boat. Next they took us to a barrier reef drop off (just like Finding Nemo) it was the coolest thing. Hal, only then had I wished we would have been scuba diving. Although looking down kind of freeked me out but I absolutely loved it, it was quite spectacular in the reef's depth and beauty. Hundreds of tropical fish, coral and plant life. I could have spent the whole day there.






This little boy is Avee. He and his family live on the American couple's property and work for them. You should have seen Avee's face light up when Richard said he could drive the boat. He did a good job.







This is Barbara and Richard. They host the excursion and then make an authentic Honduran lunch. The lunch was an appetizer of humas and chips(ok, not so Honduran but really good) soup with potato and tomato, rice and beans and watermelon, really good watermelon.




Our lunch was yummy. You can see my glass bottle here in the picture, they bring the bottles back to the factory for reuse. (Post snorkeling hair pictures are never good.)






A local Roatan store, it is very typical to see mongril dogs everywhere. I think Dave had the urge to pick up stones and chuck them at the dogs, nah.... all the dogs we came across were friendly.




Dave did pick up a "box drink" and "petates" aka cookie. They were really good not to sweet.




I snuck a picture of this lady she was really using a ribbed washboard to wash laundry.





This is a barrel with pork cooking in it. I think Dave really wanted to try some but it wouldn't be done in time so we went else where to find food.







This is where Dave ate his second lunch. He chose the second item for today's special. Stew Beef.






Looks can be deceiving, it was actually very good. I would have eaten too only I still full from my soup and watermelon. After we ate we got caught in a rain storm and still had to get back to the Pearl. We ran through the streets and out of nowhere cam this little boy and he held an umbrella for me to run under. He definitely got tipped. Loved Roatan, will visit again someday.







Yeah dress up party again! Taking my time and doing my hair was so fun for me. That night on the Pearl ( love calling our ship "the Pearl") they had a comedy group, pretty good. We hit the ice cream parlor and grabbed a few cookies which then and there became our nightly ritual. (Ohhh...I think I'm getting tanner. Did I hear there was snow in Idaho today :)

4 comments:

Kari Clark said...

Kam, I'm so jealous! We're all going to have to go on a trip sometime - that would be a blast. Can't wait to see the rest of your trip!

Unknown said...

Poor Dave! He looks a little sunburned ;D Looks like a lot of fun! We are actually going to Peru in one week!! We are taking Brett's AP Spanish class on a trip. Stayed tuned for our pictures. I am loving your pictures!

shelley said...

You guys look great! How fun!! We went on a cruise last year - it was so awesome. I was ready to go again about 2 weeks after we got home! :) Thanks for keeping us updated...

Heather said...

Kami!!! Wow, that sounds like an adventure! The sunken ship sounds so like a rush! Glad the sharks didn't get ya! ;)
The food and all sounds like you both had a memorable, fun time together!
Ya know, seeing the lady washing, reminded me of how blessed we are in the states!
Heather H.